Monday, September 15, 2008

Don't underestimate the influence you might have on someone else.

I've been wanting to start a blog for what seems like forever. My clients blog, my fellow Virtual Assistants blog, my friends blog. I like to read blogs, and am always impressed that people can do this.

I, however, seemed to have a case of "blogger's block". I am, admittedly, not overly creative. The technician in me needed a THEME for my blog, but I just couldn't come up with one.

Mommy blog?
Work-at-home-mom blog?
Virtual-Assistant blog?
Web life blog?

Hmm, no.

Then, as they have a way of doing, the planets aligned. I joined Facebook, mostly for business, but was lucky enough to re-connect with a few old and dear friends. One was kind enough to plug his wife's blog to me, and I knew her through school as well, so I jumped right over to read. She's great - just the kind of blogger I wanted to be - witty, down to earth, real.

So I spend the afternoon reading her archives and marvelling that these two people I knew a lifetime ago have such wonderful and interesting stories. AND that I can find this out on a blog.

The next day, as I sat there doing the daily crossword, relishing in my second weekend with nothing to do in a row, I kept thinking "Don't underestimate the power of down-time". I use that phrase a lot in my thoughts - "Don't underestimate", and Bingo! There's my theme!

So, the blogger who inspired me becomes the first blog on my blogroll, and we'll see how the rest of it goes!

4 comments:

High Heeled Mama said...

Thank you for your kind words. I've plugged you over at HH&HC.

Can't wait to read more. Sounds like a wonderful focus for a blog.

Now, if you ever need a guest post on "Don't underestimate the power a pair of high heels has on your attitude" - well, you know where to find me!

Kat said...

Welcome to bloggy land!
I came over from High Heeled Mama. :)

Nan Patience said...

Also came over from High Heeled Mama!

Virtual assistant? Like to hear more about that...

Love the winnie the pooh quote!

Heather said...

Thanks so much everyone, esp. HHM ;) Now I just have to monitor my blog-reading hours..

Nan-I'll be doing a post on VA life soon!