Monday, May 25, 2009

Don't underestimate Superman

Ice cream, that is.

When we were visiting St. Augustine, FL earlier this year, we discovered Superman Ice Cream in a little parlor on St George St. The kid fell in love, and I'm pretty sure he ate it every day after that. This particular Superman Ice Cream was Red, Blue and Yellow - lovely colors that make you think twice about what you're eating, but really just Vanilla ice cream.



Yesterday, because the husband was gone all day, I told the kid we would go for ice cream as a special treat. We go to a local ice cream parlor, and lo and behold, what should we see, but.. SUPERMAN ICE CREAM! The kid was thrilled, ordered it right away (while telling the lady what it *does* to you - sorry 'bout that, ice cream lady) and sat down to his ice cream.

After I inhaled my Mint Chocolate Chip cone, I noticed that his was not going as quickly as it should. I asked him if it was OK. He said yes, just different. Then he said he didn't like it. So I tried it. Nope, NOT vanilla. Not sure what it was, I'm pretty sure I tasted bubblegum, though. Or maybe cotton candy. Or Maybe both.

So he cheerfully said that it was OK, he would just stick to Chocolate until we went back to get the good stuff. I didn't have the heart to tell him he could have the "good stuff" if he just ate vanilla with his eyes shut.

1 comment:

High Heeled Mama said...

Aw! So sweet. Maybe you need to invest in some food coloring and can make superman ice cream at home with your old trusty Breyer's vanilla? Then mommy would be the super hero! :)

Great seeing you Friday. Tyler's still talking about his new friend, how they had pizza and banged the wall to make noise. Ah, the little things.